The allure of the baked cheese tarts from Hokkaido-headquartered Bake Cheese Tarts was so yummy that it was a food trend here to stay. We love these yummy cheesy tarts too that we came up with our own! Instead of buying it off-the-shelves, why not create your own take on these trendy gooey-centred pastries?
MAKES 8 TARTS (4CM BASE TART)
By BUTTER & BAKE
INGREDIENTS FOR TART BASE
115g plain flour
70g butter, room temperature
20g icing sugar
½ large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water (if needed)
1) Beat butter and powdered sugar together using a whisk or in a bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the ½ egg yolk and mix together.
2) Gradually add the flour and mix until the dough begins to come together
3) Using your hands, lightly press the dough together to form a ball. Add a little bit of water if dough is too dry
4) Turn the dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap, and chill the dough for 30 minutes
5) Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and then flatten it into a disk. Place it into the tart and press the dough into and up the tart tin
6) Bake the prepared tart cases in a preheated 180 degree celcius oven for 10 minutes
FOR THE FILLING
270g cream cheese
90g mascarpone cheese
55g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6) Add cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, milk and butter into a bowl. Place the pot into a larger pot with barely simmering water. (Note: This is the bain marie method, to create a gentle and uniform heat for cooking custard). Keep stirring the mixture till everything is melted)
7) Once the mixture has melted, add sifted corn starch and icing sugar. Mix till well-blended, the mixture will thicken slowly.
8) Add eggs, followed by vanilla. Mix till well-blended, the mixture will further thicken into custard. Let cool.
9) Fill the cheese custard into a piping bag. Pipe the custard into the tart cases, shape slightly domed. Brush custard evenly with egg wash.
10) Bake the tarts at 200 degree celcius preheated oven, for 8-9 mins.
11) Once baked, remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool. And it’s ready to serve!
Share the love: Hashtag #butterandbake so we can marvel over your very own version of your bakes, made with this recipe! Tag @butter_and_bake