All time favourite chiffon cake! This cottony soft cake, with its subtle fragrance of pandan leaves and coconut, will not let you down. You will find yourself making this cake over and over again, trust me. Use freshly squeezed pandan extract for best results.
By Butter & Bake
INGREDIENTS(FOR 18CM CAKE):
Eggs yolks: 4
Castor Sugar: 40g
Coconut milk: 50g
Pandan Extract: 2 tablespoon
Cake flour: 100g
Egg whites: 4
For the pandan extract:
Approximately 20 pandan leaves, cut into small strips (discard the ends)
- Put the pandan leaves strips into the blender, and add about half the amount of water. No exact measurement needed, just enough to get the blender working.
- Blend this together till a concentrated green mixture is formed. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
- Sieve the mixture into a bottle or bowl. In fact, squeeze the blended pandan leaves dry, so that you will get maximum out of it! Now, leave the bottle containing the squeezed pandan juice overnight.
- The next morning you’ll notice that the mixture has ‘separated’- the bottom is very green. This is your pandan extract.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar till it turns a lighter shade
- Add in oil, followed by coconut milk, and pandan extract
- Sift the cake flour into the mixture, and mix till combined.Set this aside, and beat the egg whites and sugar till stiff peaks.
- Fold in the meringue into the mixture in step 3. Put 1/3 of the meringue first, fold it in, once incorporated, fold in the rest of the meringue
- Pour the batter in, knock the tin against the worktop a few times to knock off the air bubbles
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degree celcius for 50 mins. Once baked, invert the cake tin and allow to cool completely.
Share the love: Hashtag #butterandbake so we can marvel over your very own version of your bakes, made with this recipe! Tag @butter_and_bake